Getting it Right for every Young Person

No matter where you live or whatever your needs, you and your family should always know where you can find help, what support might be available and whether that help is right for you.

Getting it right for every young person means that all those people that have a responsibility to help you will make sure that they do their best to keep you safe, healthy and help you to achieve your potential. They will assist you to get the support and advice that you may need and will involve you in decisions that affect you.

People, agencies and the community in which you live may need to work together (only when needed) to support you. Those helping you are expected to take a GIRFEC approach which will mean that…

  • You will feel confident about the help you are getting
  • You understand what is happening and why
  • You will be listened to carefully and your wishes will have been heard and understood
  • You have been appropriately involved in discussions and decisions that affect you
  • You can rely on appropriate help being available as soon as possible
  • You should only have to tell your story once and if the help you need is provided by several agencies this will be coordinated by one person.
I have an issue or want help – who do I talk to?

If you have a Health need you should talk to your G.P, or use the links on this page to get more information on specific problems or concerns you may want to know more about. We have provided a number of links to Web pages with specific advice on drugs, alcohol, relationships, depression and other subjects that you may be interested in.

If you think that you need help because you want to improve your situation, have family difficulties, are lonely, are being bullied or any other difficulty and feel you cant talk to your parents/carer, you should contact someone in your school or College. This could be a guidance teacher, Deputy Head etc.

If you feel you are being abused or neglected in any way you should speak to a Social Worker, a Police Officer, or again, the person within your school or college.

If you need support from a number of agencies someone will be identified to organise the support you need. This should be a person you trust and have a good relationship with; however, in some instances the person will be assigned to you depending on your needs. Whenever possible, you will be involved in choosing that person.

This person will be your contact and they will work with the other agencies to provide whatever support and advice you may need.

Children are one third of our population and all of our future.